Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Danaid Eggfly (Hypolimnas missipus)

Looks can be deceiving. While clicking the pics I thought these were two different butterflies. Only later upon a closer look I realised it was the same butterfly with different patterns on the front and back wings. Had never given much thought to the fact that butterflies could look astonishingly different with their wings open and closed. 

This one looks like a male because of the distinctive white spots. The Danaid Eggfly is also known by two more names- Mimic or Diadem. They are deservingly called so because of their characteristic 'Polymorphism'  which in layman terms would mean it's ability to appear in different forms and 'Mimicry' which means similarity in appearance to one or more species in terms of appearance, behaviour, sound , scent and sometimes even location. Visual mimicry known as camouflage is quite common among butterflies where for Eg., say a green colored butterfly may take on the deceiving appearance of a leaf thereby duping potential predators.




Wonder how different our world would be if we were capable of both?- Well I wouldn't mind dissolving into my surroundings once in awhile when there are unwelcome predators at bay or even remotely taking on the appearance of an Angelina Jolie or a Julia Roberts once in awhile-It could prove to be quite handy and am sure they wouldn't mind !!! 


Well I guess even butterflies have their own stories to tell and what I've unearthed in the process is that it get's more and more interesting by the line....not to mention the satisfaction you get in identifying them later on from your very own pics..:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...