Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Oleander Hawk-moth (Daphnis nerii) Caterpillar


What crawls from leaf to leaf growing bigger and bigger as it eats, is spotted and green in colour with black and blue eyes, pretty pink feet and a tiny yellow tail if you could call it one?...

Well it's this pretty caterpillar that I found quietly chewing away at the leaves of an Oleander plant at home. Even though I love growing plants and maintaining a well pruned garden, I still let this hungry fella eat almost half of the flowering plant just to observe him turn into one of the most beautiful moths in the world. Unfortunately he didn't live long enough for that...just disappeared one day... mostly ending up as a meal for some bird I'm guessing! Here's to the little bit that I managed to capture of him....



Turning around...






And this is what it would have looked like had it been fortunate enough to live on for a few more days....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...