Monday, May 14, 2012

Koel Diaries

Finally managed to get some decent shots of one of my favourite bird's- The Asian Koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus). There's just something about this bird that is so intriguing-  Is it it's echoic song?..It's poetic voice?...It's sharp look?..The haunting red eye?...The elusive female?..It's parasitic nature?..The male's constant koo-Oooo or the female's kik-kik-kik?..Is it irate or just koooooing away or calling out to it's mate?...The way it opens it's yellow beak and call's out in a shrill voice as though if we didn't listen to it right now then we'd  be doomed!?...I honestly don't know but it just has this innate quality that draws you to it! It's quite difficult to spot as it tends to sit still most of the time and it's call is the only give away. Even more difficult to spot is the female because of it's plumage and they do seem like a little shy to me to come out in the open when compared to the male. But finally today I saw the female for the second time (the first time I didn't even know it was the female till I poked into my field guide later) and managed to get a shot of both the male and female together.

Here's to my ode to the Koel........


Asian Koel Male




Had taken this shot way back....
Asian Koel Female


Both Male & Female
A bonus pic I clicked just after the female flew away - or maybe it's elusiveness had rubbed off me by then!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...