Monday, October 22, 2012

A homage to my first wilderness getaway...


Some journeys teach you, some journeys energize you, some fulfill your deepest desires, others awaken you…and then there are some journeys that are just made for you! Well, this was one such path I did tread on that left me with a zillion questions and yet flatteringly satisfied. No early bird plans, no itinerary, no hullabaloo, just a blind shot in the dark, a bit of luck to add on and not to mention the fulfillment of a long pending truce with the tooth fairy! It was one of those trips where wanting to get away from the daily grind, you have a couple of places in mind, you hit google and luckily manage to get reservations for the best available spot, which given the holiday season would have been impossible to get booked into. Felt more like I had had a sip of Felix Felicis….all ye Harry Potter fans ought to know what I am talking about and for the rest that’s a luck potion!

Nope had never heard of this place before or what treasures it held and before I knew it, I was on my way there. Sometimes when certain things are meant to come to you, they will or in my case you are just taken there.

Tucked away beneath the foothills of the Nilgiris, bordering the Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park, “Jungle Retreat” offers a slice of homely wilderness where you don’t just go visiting the jungle, but learn to live as a part of it.

Chital Family on a silent walk

Cushioned the furthest into the wilderness, Jungle Retreat stands literally true to it’s name. Surrounded by a mountainous terrain, vast expanses, hidden cottages, tree houses and a pool that doubles up as a watering hole, no visible fences or concrete walls, just a couple of rooms here and there that seem to dissolve into the background and you are completely on your own
.

 Pool cum watering hole

So almost 5 months after visiting the place I finally decide to pen down my experience and give you a piece of what I tasted. There are just too many details to talk about and too many stories to tell, so I’ll give it to you piece by piece and just as I got to experience and savour it. So here’s a sneak peak of the tit bits before you get a chance to chew on the larger more interesting chunks....

Le Promenade

Sunrise…sunrise…


Bird on a wire - Long tailed shrike (Lanius schach)


Another view of the pool


Chital

Entrance


Early morning vistors to the pool

Red vented bulbuls (Pycnonotus cafer)


Simple delights...

That’s that for now! Stay tuned in for more....

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see some images of this resort. Some more descriptions of your activities or experiences would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Yes, i'll definitely be writing more on my experience at Jungle Retreat but in parts. I was lucky to stumble upon your website 'IndiaWilds' sometime back. Loved your story,videos and your passion towards wildlife. We definitely need more people like you out there...!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...